Biogas is nothing but a mixture of gases and its is produced by a breakdown of organic matter and the oxygen is absent the important significance is,biogas is a a non renewable energy source
When organic, biodegradable matter is decomposed in a closed system, without oxygen by anaerobic microorganisms, a mixture of gases is produced. This mixture of gases has methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2), hydrogen, and carbon monoxide (CO) and may have small amounts of hydrogen sulfide (H2S), moisture and siloxanes, and is known as Biogas. Biogas is a renewable energy source.
Energy is released when the gases methane, hydrogen, and carbon monoxide (CO) are combusted or oxidized with oxygen. This energy release allows biogas to be used as a fuel;
(1) it can be used for any heating purpose, such as cooking.
(2) It can also be used in a gas engine to convert the energy in the gas into electricity and heat.
(3) Biogas can be compressed, the same way as natural gas is compressed to CNG, and used to power motor vehicles.
(4) Biogas can be cleaned and upgraded to natural gas standards, when it becomes bio-methane.
(5) Biogas is considered to be a renewable resource because its production-and-use cycle is continuous, and it generates no net carbon dioxide.