In this article we will discuss about the similarities and dissimilarities between mitosis and meiosis.
Similarities between Mitosis and Meiosis:
1. Mitosis Involves nuclear division
2. Mitosis Involves spindle apparatus
3. Mitosis is Genetically controlled
4. Mitosis has various successive phases
5. Mitosis Involves cytokinesis at the end.
1. Meiosis also involves nuclear division
2. Meiosis also involves spindle apparatus
3. Meiosis also genetically controlled
4. Meiosis also has various successive phases
5. Meiosis also involves cytokinesis at the end of each division.
Dissimilarities between Mitosis and Meiosis:
1. Mitosis consists of one nuclear division
2. One cell cycle results in production of two daughter cells in mitosis
3. In mitosis the chromosome number of daughter cells is the same as that of mother cell (2n)
4. In mitosis daughter cells are identical with mother cell in structure and chromosome composition
5. Mitosis occurs in somatic tissues
6. Total DNA of nucleus replicates during S phase in mitosis
7. In mitosis there is no pairing between homologous chromosomes
8. Segregation and recombination do not occur in mitosis
9. Chromosomes are in the form of dyad at metaphase in mitosis
10. At metaphase, centromere of each bivalent divides longitudinally
11. In mitosis one member of sister chromatids move to opposite pole during anaphase
12. Mitosis maintains purity due to lack of segregation and recombination.
1. Meiosis consists of two nuclear divisions
2. One cell cycle results in the formation of 4 daughter cells in meiosis
3. In meiosis daughter cells contain half the chromosome number of mother cell (n)
4. In meiosis daughter cells are different from mother cell in chromosome number and composition
5. Meiosis occurs in reproductive tissues
6. In meiosis 99.7% DNA replicates during S phase and remaining 0.3% during zygotene stage
7. Homologous chromosomes pair during pachytene in meiosis
8. Crossing over takes place during pachytene in meiosis
9. In meiosis chromosomes are in the form of tetrad at metaphase
10. The centromere does not divide at metaphase in meiosis
11. In meiosis one member of homologous chromosomes moves to opposite pole during anaphase I
12. Meiosis generates variability due to segregation and recombination.