The upcoming discussion will update you about the differences between Pili and Fimbriae.
Difference # Pili:
1. They occur only in Gram negative bacteria.
2. The number is 1-4 per cell.
3. Pili are longer and broader.
4. They help in conjugation.
5. Formation of pili is controlled by F+ or fertility factor.
6. They are tubular structures.
Difference # Fimbriae:
1. Fimbriae are found in both Gram +ve and Gram -ve bacteria.
2. The number is 300-400 per cell.
3. Fimbriae are shorter and narrow.
4. They take part in adhesion.
5. Formation of fimbriae is controlled by a nucleoid gene.
6. They are bristle-like solid structures.