The upcoming discussion will update you about the differences between Plant Cytokinesis and Animal Cytokinesis.
Difference # Plant Cytokinesis:
1. It usually occurs by cell plate method.
2. The spindle usually persists during cytokinesis.
3. Central part of spindle grows in size and forms an interdigited complex called phragmoplast.
4. Vesicles derived from Golgi apparatus reach the equator of the phragmoplast and fuse to form cell plate and new cell membranes.
5. Cell plate grows centrifugally.
6. The new cell membrane is derived from vesicles of Golgi apparatus.
Difference # Animal Cytokinesis:
1. It takes place by cleavage.
2. The spindle begins to degenerate soon after anaphase.
3. A mid body of dense fibrous and vesicular material is formed in the middle.
4. The event is absent in animal cytokinesis.
5. Cleavage progresses centripetally.
6. The new cell membrane is usually derived from endoplasmic reticulum.