The upcoming discussion will update you about the difference between DNA and RNA.
Difference # DNA:
1. DNA is originated from RNA.
2. DNA is the genetic material of almost all living organisms.
3. Except a few (e.g. Φ * 174), most of DNA viruses is double stranded.
4. Pentose Sugar is deoxyribose.
5. The bases are adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine.
6. Base pairs are A-T and G-C.
7. Base pairing occurs throughout the length of DNA molecule.
8. DNA contains millions of nucleotides e.g. over 4 millions.
9. DNA is only of one type.
10. DNA is found in chromosomes. However, DNA is also found in mitochondria and chloroplasts.
11. DNA encodes the genetic messages in the form of mRNA transcripts.
12. This enzymes is not required by DNA. DNA after replication forms DNA and after transcription forms RNA.
Difference # RNA:
1. RNA is more primitive than DNA.
2. RNA is the genetic material of some plant, animal and bacterial viruses.
3. Except some viruses (e.g. reovirus) most cellular RNA is single stranded.
4. Pentose sugar is ribose.
5. The bases are adenine, guanine, cytosine and uracil.
6. Base pairing occurs between adenine and uracil (A-U).
7. Base pairing is seen only in hairpin structure and helical region.
8. RNA contains a few (about 12,000) nucleotides.
9. The RNA molecules are of three types: rRNA, mRNA, tRNA.
10. The mRNA is found in nucleolus, and tRNA and rRNA are found in cytoplasm. They are formed on the DNA.
11. RNAs translate the message of DNA into proteins
12. Genetics RNA uses the enzymes, reverse transcriptase during replication.