In this article we will discuss about the salivary glands of cockroach with the help of diagram.
Fig. 154 SALIVARY GLANDS OF COCKROACH
1. It is the slide of salivary glands of Cockroach.
2. These glands are paired and white structures and are situated one on either side of crop in the prothoracic region.
3. The salivary glands, as a matter of fact, are comprised of a glandular part and a hollow receptacle or reservoir.
4. The receptacle is situated between paired glands of each side and remains connected through a duct.
5. The glands are compressed, made up of hexagonal glandular cells and each of them opens into a small narrow duct.
6. The ducts of two glands of one side join into a salivary duct and the salivary ducts from two sides join into a common duct.
7. The common duct receives the ducts from two receptacles and transforms into a spacious efferent salivary duct.
8. The efferent salivary duct opens at the base of hypo pharynx, which is situated on the floor of buccal cavity.