The upcoming discussion will update you about the difference between diffusion and osmosis.
Difference # Diffusion:
1. Diffusion can occur in any medium.
2. The diffusing molecules may be solids, liquids or gases.
3. Semipermeable membrane is not required.
4. It is dependent upon the free energy of the molecules of diffusing substance only; presence of other substances in the system is of no importance.
5. It is not influenced by the pressures other than diffusion pressure.
6. An equilibrium in the free energy of diffusion molecules is achieved in the system.
7. Factors like water potential, solute potential and pressure potential do not affect diffusion.
Difference # Osmosis:
1. It occurs only in liquid medium.
2. It involves movement of solvent molecules only.
3. Semipermeable membrane is required.
4. Though it is the diffusion of solvent molecules only, yet influenced by the presence of other substances (solutes) in the system.
5. It is influenced by turgor or hydrostatic pressure of the system.
6. Equilibrium in the free energy of solvent molecules is never achieved.
7. Water potential, solute potential and pressure potential do not affect osmosis in a living system.