In this article we will discuss about the structure of cyclops with the help of diagram.
1. It is the slide of Cyclops.
2. These are mostly free living forms of greenish colour found in ponds and ditches of stagnent water.
3. Body broad in middle and tapers behind into a urosome.
4. The body is divisible into a head, thorax and abdomen. The head and first thoracic segment are united to form a cephalothorax covered by a carapace or cephalic shield. The thorax is made up of 7 segments but only 5 free segments are visible. The abdomen is having 4 segments.
5. The last abdominal segment is having a pair of caudal forks with 5 plumose bristles at their tip.
6. The cephalothorax is having paired antennae and antennules and a single median eye near its tip which is formed by the fusion of 3 ocelli.
7. Antennules serves as the organs of locomotion.
8. All appendages are biramous except the antennae which is uniramous.
9. With last thoracic segment, on either side, a sac-like ootheca or egg sac having ova in various stages of development, is attached.
10. Excretion’s done by maxillary glands.
11. Sexes are separate and ovary is single median and is located in the cephalothorax.
12. A pair of convoluted uteri surround the ovary and open into respective ootheca.