The upcoming discussion will update you about the differences between Lamprey and Hagfish.
Difference # Lamprey (Petromyzon):
1. Lamprey is mostly marine as well as fresh water.
2. It has both parasitic and nonparasitic species.
3. Lamprey sucks out blood of host fishes in feeding.
4. Lamprey breeds marine form migrates to fresh water river and stream for spawning (anadromous).
5. Lamprey’s body is stout.
6. Its size may reach upto 1 metre.
7. Two dorsal fins are present in lamprey.
8. Lamprey’s skin is less slimy.
9. Paired eyes of lamprey is functional.
10. Mouth of lamprey is ventral.
11. Buccal funnel is present in lamprey.
12. The tongue of lamprey is less developed with larger teeth.
13. Salivary glands are present and secrete an anticoagulant in lamprey.
14. Lamprey has 7 pairs of external gill slits.
15. Brain of lamprey is better developed.
16. 10 pairs of cranial nerves are present in lamprey.
17. Sexes of lamprey are separate (unisexual).
18. Development is indirect with ammocoete (larva), metamorphosis is present in lamprey.
Difference # Hagfish (Myxine):
1. Hagfish is exclusively marine.
2. It has only parasitic species.
3. Hagfish is primarily scavenger and feeds mostly upon dead fishes in feeding.
4. Hagfish breeds spawning on sea floor.
5. Hagfish’s body is feeble.
6. Its size remains under 1 metre.
7. Dorsal fin single or absent in hagfish.
8. Hagfish skin is more slimy, hence called”slime eel”.
9. Paired eyes of hagfish is degenerate.
10. Mouth of hagfish is terminal.
11. Buccal funnel is absent in hagfish.
12. The tongue of hagfish is more developed with smaller teeth.
13. Salivary glands are absent in hagfish.
14. Hagfish have 1 pair of external gill slits.
15. Brain of hagfish is poorly developed.
16. 8 pairs of cranial nerves are present in hagfish.
17. Sexes of hagfish is united (Hermaphrodite =bisexual).
18. Development is Direct without larva, no metamorphosis is present in hagfish.