In this article we will discuss about the head and mouth parts of male culex with the help of diagram.
Fig. 150 HEAD AND MOUTH PARTS OF CULEX
1. It is the slide of head and mouth parts of male Culex mosquito.
2. The head bears a pair of large compound eyes and a pair of long and plumose antennae.
3. Mouth parts are of piercing and sucking type and include a pair of very long and hairy maxillary palps, a pointed labrum – epipharynx and a proboscis.
4. The proboscis is made up of labium and hypo pharynx.
5. Mandibles and maxillae greatly reduced or absent.
6. Maxillary palps extend much beyond the proboscis and are pointed at tips.
7. The blood is sucked by labium and Labrum-epipharynx.
8. The maxillary palps are three jointed bristled and shorter than proboscis in female and longer than proboscis in male.