In this article we will discuss about the structure of Haemadipsa with the help of a diagram.
1. It is a terrestrial leech of tropics found attached to leaves, bushes, shrubs and to warm blooded vertebrates e.g., horse’s dogs and catties on Himalayan slopes.
2. The body is sub-cylindrical and measures about 3 cm in length and 0.5 cm in width. There are about 28 segments.
3. The body is provided with prehensile anterior and posterior suckers.
4. The buccal ring is surrounded by a buccal frill.
5. The segments 24-26 bear small trilobed lateral auricular process.
6. Pharynx non-protusible, buccal cavity has 3 jaws, blood is red in colour and botryoidal tissue is present.
7. Each segment has 5 annuli.
8. Coelome obliterated, true blood vessels absent, head indistinct and parapodia setael and tentacles are absent.